The Societat Catalana de Malalties Infeccioses i Microbiologia Clínica [Catalan Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology], founded in 1982, is a scientific society within the framework of the Acadèmia de Ciències Mèdiques de Catalunya i de Balears [Academy of Medical Sciences of Catalonia and the Balearic Islands]. It has now more than 600 members, and its core objective is:
- To bring together all specialists that graduate in Medicine and Surgery who have an interest in or work with Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, as well as University graduates or diploma holders in other health science areas.
- To contribute to the scientific improvement of its members and establish media to extend the study of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology.
- To promote the development of medicine in Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology.
- To assess and collaborate with public organisations, universities and private societies or companies in matters of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology.
- To foster collaboration with other state and international societies.